Today, I sat in a 9 hour workshop about changing the way we think, and wouldn’t you know it? It got me thinking! In the process of giving a subtle facelift to this site in readability and fonts, with new streamlined icons and dialogue boxes, I thought it was high time I brought our main Patreon page up to speed. It’s over a year old now.
I could begin by explaining what it is that we do at The Well-Red Mage, but before that, I want to ask you Why.
Why do we play video games?
More than that, why do we play video games with others? Why is it important to us to share those experiences even with strangers online to create conversations surrounding games?
We crave the act of sharing our passions, like sustenance, like validation. Video games have the exhilarating ability to unite people across the world, from different ethnicities, languages, creeds, countries, and political inclinations. We love them and part of our loving them is exercised by sharing them with others, from couch co-op to online discussions.
At The Well-Red Mage, I believe in the uniting power of video games. Every one of our writers across the world believes the same thing. That’s why we write. That’s why we craft long-form articles. That’s why we champion in-depth discussion and civil discourse (and civil disagreement, where necessary).
I know that if you’re reading this, that you and I, we, are part of a paradigm shift. We are riding the wave of a movement of change. We are tired of weaponized outrage and the “nontroversy-of-the-week”. We roll our eyes at click-bait as a waste of the joy of gaming. We’re tired of intentionally inflammatory or recycled takes, and ugly, ostracizing, fractal gaming groups full of gatekeepers.
We are passionate enough about gaming to want more.
The Well-Red Mage brings together these passionate people, takes under a single wing quality games writing from across the internet, and in doing so, creates a higher standard for gaming critique while building a new kind of gaming community, one not constructed under the tyranny of any slant of ideology, but a community built purely on a love for gaming. This is what all the collabs, the podcasts, the articles, the reviews are for.
As the industry continues to grow, new brands continue to appear, and fragmented pocket groups continue to splinter, The Well-Red Mage aims to unite as many bloggers, as many content creators, as many producers and writers as possible under one banner: the love of gaming. We are a hub where you can meet new creators and find some of your old favorites.
I believe this is the future that gaming needs. That’s more important than what we do, but what will it take to make it a reality? I don’t know for sure, but I do know it will take more than thousands of content creators working in isolation; it will take more than surrendering to the status quo; it will take much more than cults of personality. It will take building something new.
So, will you help us? Your financial support each month will, as it grows, go directly toward constructing this hub we call The Well-Red Mage and refining its vision, expanding its boundaries, creating new content, and paying its writers back with more than “exposure”. This hub will be built by crowdfunding from those who believe. It is already being built.
If you believe in the power of games to unite, help us build this future.
Help us shift the paradigm and change the way people think about games writing and gaming community.
SPECIAL THANKS to our Warriors of Light patrons, former and current!
- 1st: Tony Brave – wakalapi.wordpress.com
- 2nd: Adrienne Figenbaum –ash1rose.wordpress.com
- 3rd: Bradley Keene – cheapbossattack.wordpress.com
- 4th: Ellen “Lightning” Hennigar –lightningellen.com
- 5th: Cameron Kim
- 6th: Geddy Lee – nostalgiatrigger.com
- 7th: NekoJonez – arpegi.wordpress.com
- 8th: Jennifer Arola
- 9th: Elizabeth L. Cesaletti
- 10th: Chuck Norton
- 11th: Rus Gordon –youtube.com/user/RussellGHello and seafooddisco.wordpress.com
- 12th: Zach Casserly – casserlysnotebook.com
- 13th: Joe Mags
- 14th: Will “The Keeper” – thecodexonline.com
- 15th: Julius King Chua –grimoireofrainbowmage.com
- 16th: DeQuimet
- 17th: The Wizard Gamers – @Rayneman001
- 18th: TheTrueDonnieG –@thetruedonnieg & twitch.tv/thetruedonnieg
- 19th: I am the Cheese – @replicantpinky & replicantpinky.wordpress.com
- 20th: Normal Happenings – normalhappenings.com
- 21st: Haley Renee Gray – instagram.com/haleybottlesfrometsy
- 22nd: Chris Cesarano – @ccesarano & ramblepak64.com
- 23rd: Craig Rathbone – winst0lfportal.wordpress.com & @winstolf
- 24th: Kevin Harbin – @kevinharbn