Happy January, NPCs!
I hope this new year has been treating you aight thus far. We’re well on our way to tidying up our review of the Ghibli canon of films and just before the finish line it seems we’ve reached our next milestone: 30,000 views.
Coming up on a full year of blogging, it is wondrous to me that people have responded as much as they have to this blog. It’s been a dream of mine to write since I was a boy and blogging has provided an excellent outlet for that but building this kind of community wasn’t something I expected would ever happen. After all of the awards and comments and likes, I’ve got to thank our faithful readers and followers. You’ve inspired me over all these months and I hope to continue to learn from you.
I also owe the many contributors here much gratitude. Thank you very much. Your writing is a challenge to me to be better and continue to strive forward.
This milestone warrants a celebratory post (I’ll include a statistical breakdown in the upcoming summary of a full year article). If you’d care to see past celebratory posts you can check out the category. We’ve historically celebrated with sets of images from various elements of pop culture and entertainment, as sort of a way to pay back our readers with something delightful.
So, can we all agree that Joe Hisaishi is a genius? Even if you don’t care for the Ghibli films, you can perhaps recognize that a lot of their music is exceptional. This is one of my favorite concert performances, the Studio Ghibli 25 years in concert symphony orchestra, conducted by Hisaishi himself. Really moving stuff. Check it out below and enjoy! Song listing after the embed. Note that the concert doesn’t include every Ghibli film score, but only those which Hisaishi composed up to 2008. Which song is your favorite?
Thank you for playing!
-The Well-Red Mage
- From Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
- Opening (Legend of the Wind)
- Requiem ~ A Battle Between Mehve and Corvette
- Tooi Hibi (Days Long Gone)
- Tori no Hito (Bird People)
- From Princess Mononoke
- Ashitaka no Sekki (The Legend of Ashitaka)
- Tatarigami (The Cursed God)
- Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke), Vocal: Masako Hayashi
- From Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Umi no Mieru Machi (A Town with an Ocean View)
- Shoushin no Kiki (Heartbroken Kiki)
- Kaa-san no Houki (Mother’s Broom)
- From Ponyo
- Deep Sea Ranch ~ Mother of the Sea, Vocal: Masako Hayashi
- Ponyo of the Fish of the Wave ~ Fujimoto’s Theme, Vocal: Fujioka Fujimaki
- Rondo of the House of Sunflowers, Vocal: Mai
- Mother’s Love ~ Little Sisters ~ Song of Praise for Mother and the Sea
- Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea), Vocals: Fujioka Fujimaki and Nozomi Ohashi
- From Castle in the Sky
- Hato to Shounen (Pigeons and a Boy), with marching band
- Kimi wo Nosete (Carrying You), with choir and marching band
- Taiju (The Huge Tree)
- From Porco Rosso
- Bygone Days [my personal favorite song in the performance]
- From Howl’s Moving Castle
- Symphonic Variation ~ Merry-Go-Round ~ Cave of Mind
- From Spirited Away
- Inochi no Namae (The Name of Life), Vocal: Ayaka Hirahara
- Futatabi (Reprise), Vocal: Ayaka Hirahara
- From My Neighbor Totoro
- Kaze no Toori Michi (The Path of the Wind)
- Sanpo (Stroll), with choir and all featured vocalists
- Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro), with choir
- Encore – From Porco Rosso
- Second Encore – From Princess Mononoke
- Ashitaka and San
Did you enjoy this post? Consider becoming a Warrior of Light and join us in restoring integrity and quality to entertainment journalism. We specialize in long-form, analytical reviews and we aim to expand into a podcast and webzine with paid contributors! See our Patreon page for more info!